Sunday, September 27, 2009

Duhhh

So we are still renting my car, a Toyota Avanza, and just can't take the plunge to buy a car yet. But I have to say, renting has its perks. For instance, about 3 weeks ago I went to take the girls to gymnastics and my car would not start. I cranked and some of the lights came on but it would not turn over. Of course I stood there and turned the key probably 15 times hoping for a different result. Urgh. Thankfully we can walk to gymnastics so I then loaded the kids in the stroller and went. It was smokin' hot that day which only added to the bitchiness. Kyle picked us up on his way home and we called the rental place. They sent a technician late that night. As the bell rang and Kyle was walking down the stairs he says "I bet that car starts right up." I then say "it might, but it certainly didn't earlier today!" Five seconds later I hear the car running. Diagnosis - the car was in drive not park. Duhhh. You would think they could have asked me a few questions before sending this poor guy over at 9:30 at night to find out the dumb ass female had it in drive.

Then yesterday we were heading out and Kyle noticed that there was a screw in my back right tire. The tire was not flat yet but it seemed inevitable. So that afternoon I called the car rental company again and they said they would send someone out. A few minutes later the guy calls to get directions and when I tell him we live in Villa Aseana, he says "oh, I know where you are. Last time you car not start right?" I then have to to admit "yes, that is us." Upon arrival we show him the screw and he goes to his car and get a pair of pliers to pull it out. I kid you not he pulled out the shortest screw I have ever seen. Like the kind you use in an electrical switch plate. It was so short that it was only in the tread and did not even puncture the tire. This guy was such a good sport, smiling the entire time. "I think your problem solved" he says. All the while Kyle and I are standing there wishing WE had pulled out the mini screw. And with that, we might have confirmed that we are the biggest dumb asses in KL.

Ah the joys of rental... their problem, not ours.


1 comment:

  1. Just so everyone knows you didn't get it from me!
    We were in Michigan, in the winter, with our other motorhome. It was minus 5 degrees, so Dad went out to warm it up for us. When it wouldn't start he began to try to diagnose the problem. He slid under the motorhome on the snow & ice and asked me to try to start it - saying "make sure it is in park and your foot is on the brake first" - to which I answered "It is in drive right now." I slid it into "park" and fixed it all by myself!!

    ReplyDelete