Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ordering Pizza

Some days you are reminded that you do indeed live in a foreign country. How hard can it be to order pizza one might ask? Especially from Domino's, being an American company and all. Pretty soon after we arrived Kyle called them and was on the phone probably 30 minutes trying to order a cheese pizza with olives on half. What a process to give them our address and figuring out what kind of crust we wanted. When he got off the phone I was making fun of him and how long it took. At the end I think we were happy it arrived at our house and was pizza because Kyle was unsure what would come if it came at all.

So a few months later I call to order the pizza. I soon see how challenging this task is. I am not exactly sure why it is a pain in the ass, but it is. Certainly the language barrier is a problem and although they can speak English the accents are difficult on both sides. Plus everything here is all about the promotion. So trying to order specific pizzas not following a promotion is tough. So after about 10 minutes I tell the lady just to give me exactly what we had last time. Now I am appreciating Kyle's ordering skills. Once it arrived I think I paid 70 ringgit and on the box are all the coupons for literally half the price and more food. I got ripped off.

This week Kyle and our neighbor across the street have both been traveling so we have been hooking up with Leisha and her girls (Clarie and Catherine) for play dates and combined dinners. Tonight they were at our house and we decided to order pizzas. I call and surprisingly the conversation flows right through the order no issues. I order two large pizzas. She asks if I want extra cheese and I say no. So at the end she tells me 65 ringgit and 30 minutes. Then I remember the promotions. So I ask what kind of promotion they have now. She says "the promotion is with extra cheese". I say "well how much is it if I get extra cheese?" she says "50 ringgit mam". Duh, I say "well I will take extra cheese after all." She says "you also get cinnamon or garlic bread". I say "okay cinnamon bread". Now why they couldn't have explained that who knows. In the end we got extra cheese and bread for 15 ringgit less.

Promotion, promotion, promotion. Have to remember that.

Side note - this reminds me of when we went to turn in our rental car. Kyle called the guy and told him we were going out of town for the holidays and they could come pick up the car early. We rented by the month and used about 2.5 weeks. The guy actually tells Kyle that the weekly rate is more expensive and it would cost him "x" (I can't remember the amount) to turn it in early. Kyle tries to explain that if we turn it in early he could rent it to someone else but to no avail. They insist we would have to pay. Kyle then is annoyed and tells them we are NOT paying more money to give it back early. The guys says okay sir, we will pick it up at the end of the month. Boy, that was a tough one.

No comments:

Post a Comment