Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Driving Part II



Long time, no post.  We have been waiting forever to get internet hooked up at our house.  After two weeks they told us that there is not enough bandwidth in the area to support a 4mb line.  Urgh.  So Kyle went and bought a broadband version and we were up and running in 30 minutes.  Thank god.

So back to driving.  Since my last post of bragging I have to come clean on two incidents.  The first happened while trying to parallel park pulling in forward in a overly crowded shopping area.  I cut it a little close when pulling in and scratched the front bumper of a parked BMW.  Oops.  Not knowing what they do here, we wiped our car "clean" as best we could and went to lunch.  Saying a silent prayer at lunch that the BMW would be gone when we went back.  Prayers answered.  One confrontation averted.

The second incident was in a parking garage.  I was just saying to Wendell and Sharon how good I had gotten at navigating the tight corners in parking garages and then we heard this LOUD scrapping/crunching noise along the driver's side.  Apparently I did not give myself enough room.  It didn't help that I was driving a full size mini van (ford astro style) in a garage built for mini coopers.  The damage was certainly noticeable.  Wendell gave it a 7 but I think it was more like a 3 or 4.  The door still opened.  That night the car rental guy came over to take the van for some repairs unrelated to the body damage.  So I casually mentioned that we came out of a restaurant and noticed this "small" scrape.  Sin, sin, sin I know.  He says "no worries" and that was that.  Confrontation two averted.

Notice in the pictures Sharon took what I am up against on the road...
Kyle also saw a guy carrying a law mower on his scooter.  Sharon was in Bali and saw a lady breastfeeding while riding on the back.  Anything goes here.

1 comment:

  1. No traffic is certainly an advantage to being here in the northwoods! Dad says driving is even worse in Bangkok!

    ReplyDelete