Monday, July 20, 2009

Wet Market (aka Farmers Market)






Being on the equator has some advantages, like the fruit and vegetables.  In KL they have several wet markets which are amazing.  There is one that travels from suburb to suburb and then another that is open every day.  I knew about the one in Bangsar that was on Sunday nights so we ventured there as a family.  It was great to just wander and see what was offered.  Then I went with Arika and Elizabeth to the more "serious" daily market.  I finally had someone to ask what all the different fruits and veggies were.  I was also excited because Arika had been telling me about her "curry mixer lady" which I got to meet.  I always thought of curry just as the spice we are familiar with but it is actually a bunch of different spices, garlic, onion, etc all used together to make a sauce.  I bought a fresh curry to make with chicken and several different frozen packets.  You just tell her what you are going to make that night and how spicy and she will get a little of this and a little of that and put it in a small bag.  Then right across the aisle is the guy who sells fresh coconut milk.  Curry is very easy, you put her spices, the meat and some water in a  large pot and let it simmer for 30 minutes.  Then add some curry leaves and coconut milk and let is simmer another 30 minutes and presto.  Serve it over rice and it is delicious.  Levi would LOVE this lady!

The pictures are actually of the traveling wet market so I will get some of the "serious" market next time I go.  There are fruits, vegetables, fresh noodles, (I bought fresh wontons for soup), snacks, Chinese steamed buns, flowers, lots of fish, chicken, meat, honey, and much more. 

Anyone who visits, a trip to the TTDI market is a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment