Friday, July 17, 2009

Play Dates and Maid Reconsideration

Luckily at my friend Arika's fourth of July party I met a group of expat moms and they have invited us to be part of their weekly play groups.  Deborah, who was hosting this week, has a daughter Samantha's age and another girl who is 18 months.  So Wednesday I kept Samantha home from school to attend the play date.  Deborah and the other mom's were very nice and welcoming.  I think you have to be if you live in KL and are part of the expat community.  Just since we have been here two of the kids in Samantha's class have moved. As it turns out the Wednesday group is for toddlers and Summer (the other 3 year old) is at school.  Oh well we stayed and played with the smaller children and will go back next Wednesday with Emily.  

While there they invited us to the Friday play group which is for the older kids.  It just so happened that this week it was also at Deborah's.  So today I take both Samantha and Emily to the other group.  There were tons of kids, moms and yes, maids.  I guess that is the thing, they all bring the maids to watch over the kids so the moms can socialize.  Honestly there were probably 10 moms, 8 maids and 15 kids.  Talk about craziness.  I will say, it was tough to watch Emily to make sure she didn't chew on every toy in sight, oversee Samantha in the baby pool outside and still get to know the other moms.  I might need to reconsider the maid thing...hmmm.

As we were leaving one of the moms who has a 6 month old invited us to the Wednesday baby play group.  I graciously said that sounds great.  As I was giving her my number I mentioned that we went this Wednesday and had a great time.  Then she says "oh that is the toddler group".  I go on giving her my number and she goes on to say "I feel really bad mentioning the baby group of you all ready have another play date on Wednesday." Like she was "stealing" us away.  Crap, I think I just agreed to two different (baby vs toddler apparently) on the same day.  Oh the "stay at home" mom drama.  

No comments:

Post a Comment